The Community Outreach and Engagement Committee (COEC) is a committee aimed at enhancing the scope of SJTPO’s public outreach and ensuring that SJTPO’s decision-making processes are based on diverse, inclusive, and equity-based information and viewpoints. Through its collective membership, the COEC provides SJTPO staff with a direct channel for public and special interest groups to provide input on important subjects such as the development of a safe, effective, and efficient multi-modal transportation system in the SJTPO four-county region.
Members of the COEC are trusted advocates within their communities, who serve to better engage with residents in the region regarding transportation projects and programs. Members are passionate about community involvement, particularly in historically underserved communities. Members are representatives from various sectors, interests, and organizations in the southern New Jersey area.
Roles as Members
Members work with SJTPO staff to adapt the organization’s public outreach strategies to the specific needs of the diverse communities in the SJTPO region and to provide feedback on SJTPO plans, activities, and processes. Additional activities for members include attending meetings and distributing information about transportation projects and public involvement opportunities to their networks, including online and through social media.
Anticipated Meeting Schedule for 2023 Calendar Year
SJTPO staff anticipates that meetings will follow the core document updating schedule. However, members are welcome to meet on an as-needed basis to discuss other transportation-related topics of interest. Staff continues to share information about project-specific meetings or input opportunities with members as information becomes available.
The anticipated meeting schedule is as follows:
- Monday, February 27, 2023 – Welcoming and Introductions Meeting
- Monday, March 27, 2023 – Federal Certification Review Public Meeting (members are welcome to attend this general public meeting if their schedules allow)
- Monday, May 22, 2023 – Special interest meeting on Access for All Transit Plan
- Wednesday, July 19, 2023 – Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) / Transportation Conformity Determination / Regional Transportation Plan (PIP) / Public Involvement Plan (PIP) Public Meeting
- Information available on the Public Comment web page
- September – Fiscal Year (FY) 2025 Unified Planning Work Program (UPWP) Technical Study Ideas Public Meeting
- Late November to Early December – Phase I: Pre-RTP Public Meeting
Equal Opportunity (Title VI)
SJTPO fully complies with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and related statutes and regulations in all programs and activities. SJTPO public meetings are always held in ADA-accessible facilities and transit-accessible locations when possible. SJTPO works to accommodate all reasonable requests for translation, interpretation, and auxiliary services that are necessary for individuals to participate in SJTPO’s programs and activities. SJTPO encourages that requests be made at least seven days before public meetings. Requests can be submitted through the Translation Request Form, emailed to TitleVI@sjtpo.org, or by calling the SJTPO office at (856) 794-1941. For more information on SJTPO’s Civil Rights Program, visit www.sjtpo.org/TitleVI.